Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chalk Paint Piano

 Have you seen those darling pictures of painted pianos on Pinterest?  I love how they look - but who in their right mind would paint their piano????  While I was visiting my friend out in Virginia she told me she wanted me to paint her piano....gasp!!!  All I could think about was how I was not going to get paint on the keys, in between the keys, and how was I going to paint around all the intricate parts of a piano.  The best way to deal with your fears is to face them.  And so I did!!!

Here is the piano before.  When she told me it was free, I started feeling better.  Like, even if I mess it up, she's not really out much money!

The first choice in the right direction was using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  This made all the difference in this piece.  It goes on like a dream, you don't need to prime, and it has that old look which we wanted on the piano.  This quart of paint was just enough for 2-3 coats on the piano.
 The piano needed 2 coats and a light third coat.  I did it in one day.  I brought in a fan to help the paint dry faster.  I didn't tape anything off.  I used a really good edging brush and was careful not to get it on the keys or drip in between the keys.

Here is the finished product:  It completely changed the look and feel of the room!!



 I lightly sanded the edges so some of the dark color would show through a little.  I didn't distress it too much.  When the paint was completely dry, I went over it with Annie Sloan Soft Wax and applied it with the wax brush.  The Soft Wax is amazing!  It gives furniture such a warn, homey feel.  It feels like the piano has looked like this for 100 years.  It is hard to explain how great the wax is, you just have to try it!

We had fun decorating the top of the piano.  I dug this old painting out of her basement that she bought for the frame.  I love it!  The two fancy ladies sitting around the piano - who has a painting like this these days!


 We added the yellow chair for a little pop of color.


What do you think?  Are you ready to paint your piano?


Amanda

25 comments:

  1. I love it!! What an amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the piano!!!! Changes the room so dramatically, it looks great. Another success by Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word this is in one word AWESOME. This really brightens the room. You must have a super steady hand because I would never chance this because I would be sure to screw up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this looks really good! Love the chalk paint! I am new to your blog from southern charm! I would love for you to stop by and hopefully follow me back! Have a great weekend! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this turned out! I want to paint our ancient piano, but am scared! It has a lot more nooks and crannies and moving parts than this one. I'm still not sure.. but this is encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous! I haven't used ASCP, only made my own and I LOVE it! Have thought of painting my paino too but haven't gotten there yet. I love your yellow chair as well. Adorable space, thank for sharing,
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing and I am super excited to give it a try on my piano...one question, where did you find the Annie Sloan paint? I'm in AZ and am having a difficult time tracking it down.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE your white piano! If you get a chance, please link this to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-linky-party-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a good friend you are! I love it! Also, how you decorated it. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the wall paint color. Did you apply a wax afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how the piano turned out. For future reference, my piano tuner showed me how to take apart the front of the piano (you just need a screwdriver, some muscles and a good memory) so I could replace the missing ivories and vacuum the dust from under the keys. That would make it easier to paint while protecting the keys from drips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous. The vignette on top is perfect too, and I love the happy yellow chair!

    Jeanette @ Creating a Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your painted piano and cute yellow chair! Featuring you over at House by Hoff tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this! My mom just told me last week that she is moving from Washington to Montana and mentioned not taking her piano and I told her I'd love to have it! The first thing that crossed my mind was wanting to paint it... but wasn't sure if people did that. Glad to see it has been done! This makes me very excited! Where did you get the chalk paint?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning!! You still kept all the old charm and character.

    Just wanted to stop by from I should be mopping the floor to say hello!

    Mandy@ The Hankful House

    ReplyDelete
  16. I AM ready to paint my piano! (my husband's piano, really, but he's on board). I was nervous at first, too, but posts like this have convinced me. Now I just need to find the time! This one looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. absolutely stunning - found you via sharon @ elizabeth & co - and so glad I did!!

    http://www.northerncottage.net/ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!...and the wall color is??? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The color is Rainwater by Martha Stewart at Home Depot

      Delete
  19. I have a picture that is similar, 2 fancy ladies in the same dresses plus a little girl, same muted colors, fancy frame...they could be from a set! Love the piano, wish I hadn't given mine away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What paint did you use for the yellow chair? I love it. Type and colour please. Piano looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I am ready - i just have to get some Annie Sloan paint and the chalk paint too. My piano is old - slightly out of tune but I love playing it so much and this would be fantastic - i watched a few videos on the net about how to use the ASCP but I am not 100 percent confident - a lot of people say that you should tackle something small before you do a big project - would you agree? Your nana's piano looks wonderful, truly great. Good work - what else have you tackled?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! I too have a "free" piano given to me by a neighbor.I have been wanting to paint it for a while now, just haven't had the time. I will have to use the Annie Sloan paint and wax - yours {friends} turned out beautiful!!



    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the piano and wall color? What is the color on both the piano and wall called?!! Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete