Friday, September 14, 2012

Burlap Halloween Banner

 I just discovered the fantastic world of spray painted burlap!  Where has this idea been all my life!!!  Here is how you can make your own super cute Halloween Banner:

Supplies:
Burlap (I bought mine at Joann's - very inexpensive)
scissors
spray paint (white, orange, black)
sticker circles
double fold bias tape

Here is what you do:
 Cut your burlap into triangles.  I just used scissors.  I made a paper pattern and pinned it.  Not all of mine are perfect - burlap kind of stretches - but not to worry - it will still be cute!

Spray Paint White
I painted both sides of my triangles - I was worried they would blow in the wind & I wanted them to be colored on both sides.  Spray paint the burlap triangles white.  This helps the polka dots have a little more contrast.  My burlap doesn't look bright white, it just looks not as brown.

Circle Stickers
Get your circle stickers (I got mine at Albertsons because that's where I was).  Put dots all over both sides of the triangles.
Spray Paint
I painted half my triangles orange and half metallic black (that's what was in the shed).  Paint one side, let dry, then flip over and paint the other side.
 Remove the dots and get really excited because they look so cute!
 Sew
 Measure your bias tape and cut it how long you want your banner - leaving extra to tie at the ends.  Open the bias tape and put the edge of the triangle inside and sew making sure to catch both sides of the bias tape.  I didn't pin - just keep feeding the triangles in as you sew. 



 Hang as Desired!!!
 I Love it!!!

9 comments:

  1. This looks great! So cute! Stopping by from the pity party @ 30days blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those polka dots are just too much!!! Love it - fantastic idea. Pinning!

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome! I never thought to spray paint burlap, great idea! And I'm loving your whole blog name/theme you got going on :) I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there and thanks for sharing! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-10/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute Amanda, I'm lovin it! Very creative. Thanks so much for sharing at "I Gotta Try That"
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I am really into crafting with burlap right now so this is extra awesome to me! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I just saw your feature on I Gotta Try That! Congrats! So excited to be following along now!

    -Amberly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute banner! I also like the trick or treat cat and the spider! I'm your newest follower. :-)

    T'onna @ www.navywifeypeters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I love that you created your own pattern, and that spider and cat are so cute. Great Halloween porch!

    ReplyDelete