Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A History of my Valentine's Day Quilts

I was looking around my house and I have several Valentine Quilts all with very different feels. They've been made through the years and it is interesting to see how the style and fabrics have changed.

Here is my first Valentine Quilt! I made it is 2000 just after I got my brand new Bernina! The pattern was from a Better Homes & Garden Quilt publication. Fabric has come a long way in the last 12 years!!!

2002 I made this little wall quilt which I still love even though it is made with "barn red" that was oh so popular then. I love how each of the background blocks are different creams. I still hang it up every February.

This quilt was made in 2005 - again, the fabrics are so much better these days! I always love a wonky block!
Then in 2009 came my cupcake phase. You can't see the whole thing - but there is another row of appliqued cupcakes. This used to hang in Sally's room, but now she has a Rapunzel room.
This "banner" style wall hanging I also made in 2009 - I used the applique patterns from the previous quilt, but made the arrangement and letters myself. I still love it!
From cupcakes to owls, these were both made in 2010.

This big hugs and Kisses quilt was made in 2010 also - I still love it! It hangs in my entry way.2011
I finished my "Love Birds" quilt. It is an original design by me. I love that there are a few pieced heart blocks mixed in with the plain blocks. The applique was a bit tedious - the letters are super curvy and swirly. I love the birds as well.


This quilt I also just finished and it hangs above my piano. I love the Moda valentines fabric that adds a bit of turquoise to the mix. Thanks to my mom-in-law for sending them to me! I made her a quilt like this as well - I love the birds, I love that it is off center and a little funky!


I sewed up this quick table quilt for my mom-in-law as well - just for a little spot of color somewhere.


I sewed these two small quilts for our church's Relief Society auction tonight.  I really want to keep this table runner because I still need to make myself one.


Then there is this little square quilt with two birds (who still need button eyes). I love them both.
Can't wait to see what's up for next year!  Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment