Monday, May 5, 2014

Fabric Key Chain Tutorial

Everyday this week I will be featuring a Mother's Day Gift sewing tutorial!!
I like to give my "Mom Friends" a little give on Mother's Day.  I have seen these fabric keychains, or "Key Fobs"  all over blogland and I finally decided it was my turn to have a go at them.  They are a perfect little gift!  These yummy fabrics are Modern Eclectic by Khristian Howell for Blend Fabrics.



Supplies
Cotton belting or webbing - I purchased mine from the Etsy Shop, Everything Ribbons
Key Fob hardware - purchased from the same Etsy Shop
2" strips of fabric
Therm o Web Heat n Bond Hem Tape
Cardstock
Fray Check
Pliers

Cut the fabric into 2" x 10" strips
Cut the cotton webbing 10"



Cut a piece of card stock 1" wide.  This will be the pressing guide.  Center the card stock strip in the center of the wrong side of the fabric.  Press the sides in using the card stock to keep the folds nice and straight.





Using the hem tape, place a 10" piece in the center of the webbing.

Place the pressed fabric piece on top of the fusible hem tape like this:
Press in place

Top stitch the fabric along both sides.  I like to use this Bernina foot #5 and move my needle over 3 or 4 spaces.  It works like a charm!


I took one of those sticky discs that you put on the bottom of chairs and cut it in half and adhered it to my pliers - this will prevent scratching on the hardware.  Fold the Keychain in half matching raw ends. Center the hardware and use the pliers to press in place.


Use the fray check on the sides to prevent fraying.


I think they are so cute!!  And also handy!!

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work! I love all! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely --- thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete